Window Decorating Contest
The Window Decorating Contest is an annual contest held during the Irvington Halloween Festival. The Window Decorating began in 1946, and continues to be a much enjoyed event. Local merchants and business owners have hundreds of mini-“windows” on their business fronts marked off for children and adults to display their painting skills.
Location: All entrants must come to the Irvington Library to register.
No registration will be done by phone or e-mail. No Exceptions.
Registration begins Monday October 17 at 4:00 pm and will end when all windows are registered or Saturday, October 22 at 5:00 pm, whichever comes first. (in 2014, the last window was assigned on Thursday.)
Registration times are Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday from 4:00pm to 8:00 pm. Thursday & Friday from 4:00 to 6:00 pm and Saturday from 12noon to 5:00 pm. (We highly recommend registering early in the week for a better chance at obtaining a window as they might run out quickly due to the popularity of this contest)
Window location choices (of merchants) will be accommodated on a first come first choice basis; however, final decisions on location of window will be at the discretion of the Event chairperson. Entrants are responsible for remembering where their windows are located.
Windows will be marked as to the grade/age of the entrant for judging.
Rules and Requirements
- Painting can begin on Saturday, Oct 24, 2016 and must be finished by dusk on Thursday, Oct 27, 2016.
- Entrants must use TEMPERA paint only on their windows and all entrants must provide their own paint supplies and brushes. Tempera paint can be purchased at Black Sheep or any art supply/craft store.
- Entrants must paint within the marked off spaces & must paint only in your assigned space (you will find a card with your name in the window)
- Entrants are not allowed to trace. Entrants are not allowed to collaborate; painting must be sole work of the artist.
- Entrants must keep the area where they are painting neat and not interfere with the merchant’s storefront or entrance. Entrants must dispose of all trash.
- NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you make arrangements to protect your painting from inclement weather (cover it with clear plastic)
- Judging will take place on Friday, October 30th
- For your window to be considered for judging it must be finished by dusk on Thursday, Oct 27, 2016.
- Any windows left un painted by judging day will have the name tags removed and will be offered up to the public once the judging has taken place.
- The general public can paint any unmarked window after judging but please note, these windows will not be included in the judging.
There will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place awards in each age group.
Entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Judging will take place Friday Oct 28, 2016.
The winners will be announced at the Irvington Halloween Festival.
Awards not collected on Saturday may be picked up at Irvington Insurance the week following the Festival.