Irvington Halloween Festival Window Decorating Contest
The Window Decorating Contest is an annual contest held during the Irvington Halloween Festival. The Window Decorating began in 1946, and continues to be a much enjoyed event. Local merchants and business owners have hundreds of mini-“windows” on their business fronts marked off for children and adults to display their painting skills.
Location: All entrants must come to the Irvington Library to register.
No registration will be done by phone or e-mail. No Exceptions.
Registration begins Monday October 13th at 4:00 pm and will end Saturday October 18th at 5:00 pm.
Registration times are Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday from 4:00pm to 8:00 pm. Thursday & Friday from 4:00 to 6:00 pm and Saturday from 12noon to 5:00 pm.
Window location choices (of merchants) will be accommodated on a first come first choice basis, however, final decisions on location of window will be at the discretion of the Event Chairperson. Entrants are responsible for remembering where their windows are located.
Windows will be marked as to the grade/age of the entrant for judging.
Rules and Requirements
- Entrants must use TEMPERA paint only on their windows and all entrants must provide their own paint supplies and brushes. Tempera paint can be purchased at Black Sheep or any art supply/craft store.
- Entrants must paint within the marked off spaces.
- Entrants are not allowed to trace or to collaborate with anyone; painting must be sole work of the artist.
- Entrants must keep the area where they are painting neat and not interfere with the merchant’s storefront or entrance. Entrants must dispose of all trash.
- Painting can begin on Monday Oct 13th and must be finished by dusk on Thursday Oct 23rd.
NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you make arrangements to protect your painting from inclement weather (cover it with clear plastic).
There will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place awards in each age group.
Entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges. Judging will take place Friday Oct 24th.
The winners will be announced at the Irvington Halloween Festival.
Awards not collected on Saturday may be picked up at Irvington Insurance the week following the Festival.